Aloha, Oahu!

We came. We saw. We got sunburned.

John and I spent 9 days in Oahu this month and had such an amazing time! It was both of our first times on the island, and I couldn’t think of a better place to spend our 4 year wedding Anniversary together! Also, can we take a second and let that sink in – because I still don’t believe it. FOUR YEARS AGO we got married! Time flies when you’re married to your best friend!

Even though we stayed in Waikiki, we spent 80% of our trip on the North Shore (and the other 20% driving to it!) So if you’re planning a trip to Oahu – that’s something to keep in mind! The Island it’s self is so beautiful and there are so many places to see! So, I’ve put together a little list of all my favorite places on the island! From food, beaches, hikes and everything in between – here are the places I’m dubbing a MUST SEE/DO in Oahu:

WHERE TO EAT:

Kahuku Farms

I am honestly convinced I could live off of their smoothies! Especially the Haupia Pinapple smoothie – it’s SO GOOD! All of the ingredients on their menu are locally sourced from Kahuku Farms itself or neighboring farms on the island – making it the perfect place to support local business! Not to mention it’s one of the most reasonably priced options on the island!

Seven Brothers at the Mill

I am slightly embarrassed to admit how many we ate here during our trip… (6 times!) The food here does not disappoint! Our favorites are the burgers, coconut shrimp, and french fries! I am fully aware that a burger a day isn’t the best thing to do but – vacation, right?!

Hale’iwa Bowls

Another favorite and arguably one of the best açaí bowls I’ve ever had! This place is delicious and absolutely PLASTIC FREE – what’s not to love about that! On a side note, every time we came here we ran into a cute little gecko! So if you end up going, keep your eye out for a little friend!

PLACES TO SEE:

Botanical Garden

Beautiful is an understatement for this place, and a must see on the island! The road itself prohibits you from pulling off and taking pictures, so I recommend driving up to the visitor center parking lot and taking a walk down the winding road. A morning spent walking through the Hawaiian Rainforest listening to the birds chirping in the trees is about as peaceful as it gets. The is also an iconic photo spot on the island and definitely worth grabbing some pics!

Lulumahu Waterfall

This was the fist time John and I hiked to a waterfall together – and the views were absolutely stunning! That being said, this was also the most confusing hike I’ve ever done! Not to mention the slipperiest! (that’s probably not saying much, being the desert girl I am…) But if you’re up for braving the mud and the rain, stick to the markers and the view is more than rewarding!

Ke’Ikil Beach

This place was a daily ritual. I’m honestly surprised we didn’t grow fins and swim away with how much time we spent in the water here! The beach itself has sand that stretches as far as the eye can see, and the water is one of the bluest of blues! This was also one of the least crowded beaches we found on our trip! It’s the perfect place for laying out, playing in the waves, and watching the sunset with the locals!

Waimea Bay

THIS PLACE. IS MAGICAL. Crowded, but magical. We initially came to this beach for the cliff jumping, and had no idea what else we’d find! Just off the shore were 50+ dolphins playing around with some snorkelers. So John and I grabbed our little Walmart inner-tubes and paddled our happy selves out to sea to join the fun! We spent at least an hour out there swimming around with all of the dolphins, and believe me when I say this was one of the most magical experiences of my life! They were flipping around, splashing, swimming under, and right up to us! It was absolutely unforgettable. Swimming back to shore was nothing short of a marathon, but totally worth the experience!

It’s safe to say, we had a great time… and we definitely have the tan lines to prove it!

Until next time Hawai’i!

shop the post:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *